Here’s the thread I posted to reddit/r/YAwriters this morning:
Hello! I am R.J. ANDERSON, author of seven commercially published novels for older children and teens. I was born in Uganda, raised in Canada, signed my first book contract with a major US publisher, and have become a bestselling author in the UK. …
[blather about awards and publication history redacted]
In addition to my original writing I am also an unabashed reader and writer of fan fiction, who considers my involvement in fandom and going through the beta-reading process to have been excellent preparation for a professional writing career. You can find most of my fanfics still archived on both FF.net and AO3 under my own name.
Specific areas of interest and/or expertise you might want to ask me about:
- All aspects of writing fantasy and SF, including research and worldbuilding
- The publishing process, particularly working with an editor to revise and refine your work
- Differences between the Canadian, US and UK book markets
- Transitioning from fan fiction to original, publishable writing
- Writing as a Christian in the general market
- Synesthesia, mental illness (subjects in ULTRAVIOLET)
- Asexuality, makerspace culture, women in STEM (subjects in QUICKSILVER)
So there you have it. I’m answering questions all day until 5 pm EST, so feel free to stop by and ask whatever’s on your mind!